Southern Seminary to offer hybrid modular courses beginning fall 2012
Beginning fall 2012, Southern Seminary will offer select courses in a new, more flexible format: hybrid modular courses.
The seminary has offered modular courses in "J-Terms" for several years, enabling students to take a whole course in five days. Hybrid modular courses blend online course lectures and online discussion forums with an intensive on-campus experience.
The result is that now, in only eight days, students can earn up to 13 hours of on-campus course credit. Since more than half of the hours in each course involve face-to-face instruction at Southern’s campus in Louisville, Ky., all 13 hybrid modular hours count as on-campus credit. What this means is that a student can earn all required on-campus hours for a master's degree in only two eight-day segments. Students can earn the remainder of the degree through online courses, at extension centers or at the seminary’s campus in Louisville.
The fall 2012 inaugural offering of hybrid modular courses includes a blend of theology, biblical studies, practical ministry and even one language course.
Courses offered the first half of this fall's hybrid modular week (Oct. 3-6):
- Christian theology I with Bruce Ware;
- Elementary Greek with Rob Plummer;
- Introduction to the New Testament I with Bill Cook; and
- Leadership field education I with Troy Harrison.
Courses offered the second half of this fall's hybrid modular week (Oct. 8-10):
- Theology and practice of leadership with Michael Wilder;
- Introduction to church history I with Shawn Wright;
- Team ministry relations with Troy Temple; and
- Islam and the Christian mission with J. Ryan West.
Hybrid modular on-campus weeks begin on the Wednesday of fall reading days (in fall semester) and spring break (in spring semester) each semester, and they conclude the Wednesday after, respectively. The online component of each course begins and ends at the beginning and end of the semester. Current students interested should register for hybrid courses through their Moodle portal (here). Those not yet enrolled at Southern Seminary, can do so here. When registering, students should look for these courses:
- 27060 MD Christian theology I;
- 22400 MD elementary Greek;
- 22200 MD introduction to the New Testament I;
- 45190 MD leadership field education I;
- 40080 MD theology and practice of leadership;
- 25100 MD introduction to church history I;
- 42210 MD team ministry relations; and
- 32990 MD Islam and the Christian Mission.